[Dune] METIS load balancing with ALUGrid 1.50

Eike Mueller em459 at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 09:27:12 CET 2012

Dear dune-list,

when I talked to the Dune developers in Heidelberg last December, it
was mentioned that for the new ALUGrid version (1.50) METIS load
balancing can be controlled by assigning weights to the links in the
adjacency graph. Does anyone know more about this and can point me to
more details? I want to ensure that in my case parallel partitioning
only happens in the horizontal direction (I already know how to do
this in YaspGrid).
When I use the default settings (with an older ALUGrid version) and
let METIS do the partitioning, it usually almost gets it right (see
bottom figure here: http://people.bath.ac.uk/em459/Dune/dune.html),
but it sometimes generates 'steps', i.e. vertical columns are not
always kept on the same node. I need to avoid this and make sure that
each vertical column is exclusively owned by one process to use the
vertical line smoother.

Thank you very much,

Eike

Dr Eike Mueller