[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-grid r8200 - trunk/dune/grid/test

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Jun 1 11:49:16 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 31. May 2012, 19:53:23 +0200 schrieb Martin Nolte:
> in my opinion, it should be possible to run the tests with -DNDEBUG.
> Some code fragments change their behavior on this flag and I would
> really like to check them with our test, too.

Good point.  That means we want to run many of the tests once with -DNDEBUG
and once with -UNDEBUG.  In both cases we want to always enable those misused
asserts in the testing code.  We could do that in the following way:

 - introduce a macro unittest_assert() which is always enabled and use that in
   the relevant testing code.  Or use "if(!...) abort();" or similar.

 - when compiling with -DENABLE_DEBUG forcibly undefine NDEBUG in the test
   programs

 - when compiling with -DDISABLE_DEBUG forcibly define NDEBUG in the test
   programs

 - otherwise, leave NDEBUG untouched.

We can put that stuff in a header.  But we should use seperate headers for
unittest_assert() and the NDEBUG-fiddling, since the latter needs a very
specific position in the list of includes.

Are all corner-cases covered by this scheme?

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
-- Linus Torvalds