[Dune] bad grids??

Marco Cisternino marco.cisternino at optimad.it
Mon Jun 11 10:56:53 CEST 2012

Good morning,
I would like to share with you a problem we have.
We have already thought about the solution to it, but it's probably not
feasible with dune+ALUGrid.
That's why I ask your help, I hope anyone has already had the same
situation.
We start our finite volume calculation on a coarse grid generated by a
mesh generator.
We refine the grid in a standard way, dividing fathers. The results is
that at the border between two different levels of refinement the
children have the same face slope of the fathers and this means that at
the leaf level the face slope of these cells change only when the father
changes.
This kind of grid causes oscillations in dynamical variables with a
wavelength equal to the fathers grid step.
We've also found out that moving the hanging nodes of the children out
of the face of the father, using a parametrization, can cure this
oscillations.
The problem is that we can get elements with 5 faces ( starting with a
2D grid of quadrilaterals) we are not able to manage with ALUGrid.
I imagine that almost the same situation can be obtained in the
coarsening of a grid as the result of the elimination of a vertex...
How did you deal with this kind of problem??
Can you cure the oscillation with a discretization argument or the grid
is the only way???
Thanks a lot for any help.

Best regards,
Marco