[Dune] Fwd: Re: Navier-Stokes parallel with UG and YaspGrid in 2D

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 20 14:35:23 CET 2012

Hi Manuel,

you're right, 2d ALUGrid is not parallel. It looks like I really have to find
the time to publish SPGrid.

Implementing edge communication into YaspGrid basically shouldn't be too hard
(it was trivial with SPGrid). Unfortunately, the codim 1 entities would have
to be implemented first. I really cannot say anything about UG.

If you're not out for polynomial order, you could try using the mini element.

On 03/20/2012 02:25 PM, manuel.hofmann at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> yes thats right I use Taylor-Hood Elements Q2/Q2 or P2/P1. As far as i
> know ALUGrid does not support parallel mode in 2D. Is it hard to
> program edge communication? How do I do that? Im not familiar with
> parallel computing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Manuel
>

> Zitat von Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>:
>
>> Hi Manuel,
>>
>> I guess you're using a Taylor-Hood element with 2nd order Lagrange
>> polynomials for the velocity and first order ones for the pressure. The
>> 2nd order polynomials have a degree of freedom on each edge of the
>> grid. To use such a code in parallel, you need to communicate data on
>> the edges residing on the process borders.
>>
>> Unfortunately, as far as I know neither UG nor YaspGrid support
>> communication of edge data. Have you tried ALUGrid?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 03/20/2012 10:10 AM, manuel.hofmann at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i tried to run the navier-stokes (cgstokes_instat) example in pdelab-howto in
>>> parallel mode. However i get with YaspGrid and UGGrid some interface
>>> communication errors. I used UG-3.9.1-patch7.
>>>
>>> [findDDDInterfaces_:/home/mhofmann/diplomarbeit/dev/dune/dune-grid/dune/grid/uggrid.hh:968]:
>>>
>>> Edge communication not supported for interfaces of type all / all interface
>>>
>>> [comm:/home/mhofmann/diplomarbeit/dev/dune/dune-grid/dune/grid/yaspgrid.hh:2439]:
>>>
>>> interface communication not implemented
>>>
>>> I tried ISTLBackend_OVLP_BCGS_ILU0 and ISTLBackend_NOVLP_CG_NOPREC as linear
>>> solver and newton solver of pdelab as nonlinear sovler. Both with the same
>>> error message. I am using the latest dune-grid module
>>>
>>> This is how i load the grid with UG8(if thats important?):
>>> Dune::MPIHelper& helper = Dune::MPIHelper::instance(argc, argv);
>>> [...]
>>> typedef Dune::UGGrid<2> GridType;
>>> GridType grid;
>>> std::string grid_file = "grids/cylinder.msh";
>>> Dune::GridFactory<GridType> factory(&grid);
>>> if(helper.rank()==0) {
>>> Dune::GmshReader<GridType>::read(factory,grid_file,true,false);
>>> }
>>> factory.createGrid();
>>> [...]
>>> grid.globalRefine(parameters.domain_level);