[Dune] dunecontrol not faster with set DUNE_CONTROL_PATH

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed May 23 17:42:34 CEST 2012

Hi Christoph,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 04:40:59PM +0200, Christoph GrĂ¼ninger wrote:
> Hi Christian and Markus,
> I wrote an additional section for the buildsystem documentation and
> finally tested what I wrote. I encountered the same problem as
> Markus, no speedup.
> Is this feature maybe broken?

Why broken? The feature does work, perhaps you misinterpreted a
sideeffect for a feature. The difference in the timeings is merely due
to measuring differences.

If you want to optimize something, you should always have a look at
teh timings of the different components and by far the most
timeconsuming part in dunecontrol is the recursive algorithm for the
construction of the dependency tree.

Also you would get different timings, if your home is stored on a slow
nfs-volume, or if you search a large home instead of just the dune
directory.

Christian