[Dune] DGF format and local ordering of vertices

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Sep 28 09:46:21 CEST 2012

Hi Andrea, hi all,

now I understand. So we are talking about a frequent special case (2d in 3d),
where the surface normal can easily be computed up to a minus sign.

I see one possibility for us to assist you in that task without adding a
special-purpose method: We could add a method to the grid factory (in the
spirit of insertionIndex) that returns a "geometry in inserted element"
(similar semantics as geometryInFather). This allows for two things:
(a) A change in orientation is determined by jacobianTransposed.det()
(b) This allows the grid to subsample the originally inserted grid.

Support for subsampling would allow the grid factory to, e.g., convert a
quadrilateral grid into a trianglular one. The additional method I suggested
would allow the user to detect this situation and migrate user data appropriately.

Best,

Martin