[Dune] installing dune with libtool 2.4.2

Arya Fallahi arya.fallahi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:51:02 CET 2013

Dear Dune support team,

Trying to install dune on a server, I faced with a problem which I would
like to first ask you before changing the configure files in Dune.

I downloaded the latest version of dune using svn. Particularly for
dune-common where I received the problem, I have:

svn info dune-common
Repository Root: https://svn.dune-project.org/svn/dune-common
Repository UUID: 419231ca-4411-0410-aba2-fc6cf8c4f609
Revision: 7124
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: mblatt
Last Changed Rev: 7109
Last Changed Date: 2013-02-07 13:44:27 +0100 (Thu, 07 Feb 2013)

the version of libtool and automake I am also using is:

libtool --version
libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
Written by Gordon Matzigkeit <gord at gnu.ai.mit.edu>, 1996

automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.13

when I first tried to compile dune, I received the following error message:

autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.ac
--- Failed to build dune-common ---

Based on the quote from "info automake optional", which returns:

`AC_CONFIG_HEADERS'
     Automake will generate rules to rebuild these headers.  Older
     versions of Automake required the use of `AM_CONFIG_HEADER' (*note
     Macros::); this is no longer the case today.

I changed the AM_CONFIG_HEADER to AC_CONFIG_HEADER in configure.ac by
myself. However, I then received the following error message:

configure.ac:13: installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:13: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:5: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:5: installing './missing'
dune/common/Makefile.am:6: error: Libtool library used but 'LIBTOOL' is
undefined
dune/common/Makefile.am:6:   The usual way to define 'LIBTOOL' is to add
'LT_INIT'
dune/common/Makefile.am:6:   to 'configure.ac' and run 'aclocal' and
'autoconf' again.
dune/common/Makefile.am:6:   If 'LT_INIT' is in 'configure.ac', make sure
dune/common/Makefile.am:6:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
dune/common/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
parallel-tests: installing './test-driver'
lib/Makefile.am:8: error: Libtool library used but 'LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/Makefile.am:8:   The usual way to define 'LIBTOOL' is to add 'LT_INIT'
lib/Makefile.am:8:   to 'configure.ac' and run 'aclocal' and 'autoconf'
again.
lib/Makefile.am:8:   If 'LT_INIT' is in 'configure.ac', make sure
lib/Makefile.am:8:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
--- Failed to build dune-common ---

I could go further to change the configure.ac file. However, I believe the
Dune team probably had already faced with these problems and know a better
way to deal with it. So, my question is that should I really change the
configure files. If yes, is it any reason why LT_INIT is not added to the
configure.ac?

Thank you very much for your help and assistance and best regards,
Arya