[Dune] Dynamic load balancing with ALUGrid

Dedner, Andreas A.S.Dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 10:52:10 CET 2013

Hi.
That is one reason why the loadbalance method takes a callback object with gather and scatter like communicate. The grid then makes sure that these methods are called on the right entities. So while gathering the data on one processor its local idset can be used and the same holds on the receiving process. In the grid-howto there is an example showing a possible way to use this with the persistent containers.
Andreas

Bernd Flemisch <bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
Hi Martin,

thank you for your answer. This indeed sounds a lot earlier sier and like the
solution I originally wanted to achieve. Nevertheless, I am a bit
puzzled now. I deliberately preferred global over local Ids, since
"A local id set provides ids that are unique within one process but two
entities in different processes may have the same id," see
http://www.dune-project.org/doc/doxygen/dune-grid-html/class_dune_1_1_id_set.html#_details

So I thought that with local Ids it could happen that an entity is moved
from one process to another, where another entity with the same Id
already exists. And then this would not work out. Or am I missing
something?

Kind regards
Bernd

Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de