[Dune] longest edge alberta

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jun 27 09:24:04 CEST 2013

Hi Marco,

sorry, but Alberta does newest vertex bisection. You can only choose the
refinement edge on the macro grid. It is always the edge between vertex 0 and
1 (in local numbering).

You can ask the Alberta GridFactory to rotate elements such that the longest
edge is the refinement edge. However, this interface extension is specific for
AlbertaGrid. In a DGF file, you can add the following parameter block:

GRIDPARAMETERS
REFINEMENTEDGE LONGEST
#

If you already have such a block, simply add the line "REFINEMENTEDGE LONGEST"
to it. If this grid is read into AlbertaGrid, the longest edge will be
selected as refinement edge.

Unfortunately, there is a catch: In 3d, you might end up with a grid that
segfaults on refinement due to the recursive bisection used in Alberta. As far
as I know, this only happens if the two longest edges of a tetrahedron do not
have a common vertex. The grid factory will give a warning in this case. So,
if your grid is generated from cubes by Kuhn triangulation, you should be fine.

If you consider this explaination helpful, would it be possible for you to add
it (after possible improvements) to our FAQ?

Best,

Martin