[Dune] memory leaks in AMG

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Thu Oct 24 11:33:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:11:26AM +0200, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Am 24.10.2013 04:21, schrieb Jizhou Li:
>
> > I use dune-2.2.1 (release). I want to follow along with your post: http://lists.dune-project.org/pipermail/dune/2012-May/011288.html
> > I think there might be some memory leak still remaining in amg.
> > Currently I am solving a time dependent problem (parallel). The
> > matrix cannot be coarsened since I use mixed finite element so for
> > convenience I used overlapping BCGS with AMG smoother as directly
> > solver.

I am sorry, but I think that I do not get this sentence (might be due to me not
being a natice speaker). It seems like you are saying, that the matrix
cannot be coarsened. Does that mean that the whole AMG hierarchy only
consists of one level?

> > I notice the memory filled up very quickly in my local machine as
> > the code stepping through time for both parallel and serial
> > code. I used valgrind it reports no leaking error. Has there been
> > further discussion on this post?

Mmh, normally I would trust valgrind on this one. If it says no leaks
then I would assume that there are no leaks.
Would you please give us some insight, what makes you think that the
problem is within the AMG and not other parts of the code? Have you
perhaps tried using another preconditioner without experiencing
problems?

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658