[Dune] Identifying MPICH during configure

Eike Mueller e.mueller at bath.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 19:41:45 CET 2014

Dear DUNE list,

I'm trying to install Dune and UG on Archer (the new UK HPC facility,
replacing HECToR), and I noticed that it does not identify the MPI
version (MPICH) correctly.

When I run ./configure in the UG directory, it basically claims that
there is no MPI installed even though I clearly loaded the MPICH module
(problem should be exactly the same in DUNE as the configure scripts
seem to use the same mechanism for figuring out the MPI). I think this
is because  the MPICH version is Cray specific, so current test always
which preprocesses a simple c program and looks for MPICH specific test
fails.

Instead of the current test for MPICH, wouldn't it be easier to do the
same as what's done for identifying MPICH2 in the configure script, i.e.
try to compile

#include <mpi.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf ("%s\n", MPICH_VERSION); return 0; }

which will only work with MPICH? If I do this the configure script runs
through and I can also compile UG successfully.

Thanks a lot,

Eike

--
Dr Eike Hermann Mueller