[Dune] Distributed mesh creation

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Jul 18 01:25:11 CEST 2014

Am Thu, 17. Jul 2014, 22:12:04 +0200 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> Dear Dune community,
> is there currently a grid implementation that allows to directly create
> a distributed unstructured mesh?  By this I mean that on each process
> the GridFactory would only be given the vertices and elements of the
> local subdomain grid, rather than first constructing the entire grid
> on rank 0, and then distributing.
> Thanks for the information,

The current version of alugrid does this.  There is a constructor in ALUGrid
that takes the name of a file in ALUGrid's native format.  Store each
rank's partition in a seperate file, and in each rank pass that rank's file
name to ALUGrid's contructor and you have a parallel grid.

This does not use the GridFactory though, so it may not be exactly what you
are looking for.

There is a gmsh-to-alugrid utility in dune-grid/src (--enable-extra-utils)
that converts a gmsh file into a set of partitioned alugrid files.  It still
uses Dune and ALUGrid to do the conversion, so if your original problem was to
much memory usage, you still need a machine with enough memory, but it can now
be different from the one using the partitioned grid.

For an example how to use the partitioned alugrid, have a look at the
alu-to-vtk utility.

Regards,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Institute for Computational und Applied Mathematics,
University of Münster, Orleans-Ring 10, D-48149 Münster

It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but
an act of murder.
-- Albert Einstein