[Dune] DUNE participates in ESA Sommer of Code in Space 2014

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Thu May 8 09:51:51 CEST 2014

Hi Christoph,
I added another project idea to the list.  Students are welcome to it.
Cheers,
Oliver

Project 5: Write a grid backend based on the p4est library

Primary Mentor:
Oliver Sander, N. N.
Type:
Implement grid data structures
Needed skills
Intermediate C++
Project description
p4est is a software library for the dynamic management of a collection of adaptive octrees (called a forest of octrees). p4est is designed to work in parallel and scale to hundreds of thousands of
processor cores. It is the basis of the popular deal.ii finite element software. Your task is to make the p4est library available as a backend through the Dune grid interface.

While achieving the full functionality of dune-grid and p4est together is quite a bit of work, there are several milestones that make worthy project goals in themselves:

    On a single processor, get an un-refined grid working
    Implement uniform refinement
    Implement locally adaptive refinement
    Do all of these steps again, but on a multi-processor setup.