[Dune] How to implement point to point communication

Andreas Dedner a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 10:48:01 CEST 2014

Hi.

To make one thing clear from the start, I think this is a great project
and very useful for dune.
That was for me always clear. But what I was missing was a clear idea
what the plan was, i.e.,
a list like the one you just wrote. Of course there are many dune
projects going on where I have at
best an idea of what the aim is and no more - and that is fine. But to
provide any useful input,
a clearer idea helps and just discussing it with Peter does not provide
me or others with a clear picture.

Even after reading your description of the project I am still a bit
unsure about the partitioning.
To summarize my understanding:
In one case, one has a partitioned gmsh file. Then repartitioning is
probably not required?
In the other case, the gmsh file is on one process only and the gmsh
reader adds everything into
the (meta)gridfactory. Is now the idea that the gridfactory first stores
the inserted element/vertices
itself (so does not call the insert methods on the hostgrid). Then in
the createGrid method
the inserted elements are partitioned and then each element calls the
insert method on the host
gridfactory for its own elements? That sounds like a very useful
"MetaGridFactory" in its own right, i.e.,
independent of a CurvilinearGeometryGrid. But perhaps/I misunderstood
the idea. /
If that is the idea, I would suggest to consider a callback approach
similar to the one we are using
for the repartitioning in ALUGrid. So the method createGrid gets a
callback object which it can ask
for a partition number to which to send the process. That would mean
that the code would not be
restricted to ParMetis.

Best
Andreas