[Dune] specializing template classes for Dune::Grid

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Sep 1 23:01:03 CEST 2014

Basically, what you want is SFINAE and
Dune::Capabilities::hasSingleGeometryType<Grid>.  SFINAE means "substitution
failure is not an error".  It works like this: instead of

  template<class G>
  struct SomeClass;

  template<>
  struct SomeClass<OneDGrid>
  { /*...*/ };

you do something like this:

  template<class G, class Dummy = void>
  struct SomeClass;

  template<class G>
  struct SomeClass<G, typename std::enable_if<G::dimension == 1>::type>
  { /* specialization for dim==1 */ };

The way this works is that when you instantiate SomeClass<SomeGrid>, the
compiler enumerates all the specializations of the template SomeClass.  The
extra parameter Dummy is not given and so defaults to void.  It then tries
whether it can instantiate each specialization with the parameters G=SomeGrid
and Dummy=void.  If SomeGrid::dimension == 1, then in the specialization above
the second parameter will become enable_if<true>::type, which is void, so the
specialization is viable and takes precedence over the general template.

If SomeGrid::dimension != 1 however, then in the specialization above the
second parameter will become enable_if<false>::type.  But enable_if<false> has
no member type, so the attempt to instantiate the template results in a
substitution failure.  But, since "substitution failure is not an error", this
just means that the specialization is simply removed from the list of
candidates for this instantiation, and what remains is the general template.

The other specialization can be done like this:

  template<class G>
  struct SomeClass<G, typename std::enable_if<
     G::dimension == 2 &&
     Dune::Capabilities::hasSingleGeometryType<G>::topologyId == topologyIdForQuad
  >::type>
  { /* specialization for dim==1 */ };

Here, a substitution failure can actually occur also if
hasSingleGeometryType<SomeGrid> has no member topologyId.  But that just means
that SomeGrid can contain triangles in addition to quads, so you probably
don't want to handle that anyway.

I saw enable_if first in boost, and it has some fairly extensive
documentation[1].  It has made it into the standard by now.  Dune also
contained an implementation of enable_if at some point.

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/core/doc/html/core/enable_if.html

Hope this helps,
Jö.