[Dune] Comments on Dune Developer Meeting 2014.

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Sep 25 15:38:40 CEST 2014

Am 25.09.2014 um 15:34 schrieb Robert Kloefkorn:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Robert,

> the ranged based for does not need a postfix iterator.
> See here:
> http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog/2012/05/16/cxx11-range-based-for-loop/
> or here:
> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/range-for
> I'm pretty sure that you'll find the same code snippet in the standard.
>
> As you can see, only the prefix increment is used.

I think Martin's argument was: with range-based for the user doesn't write
any increment operator.  Hence the change for him to pick the wrong one is
lower.

> So I still don't see the argument for having a postfix increment.

My argument for proposing the feature in the first place was ease of documentation.
I wanted to be able to say "entity iterators are stl forward_iterators period".
I don't actually need the postfix increment for anything.  But I am also not a
strong believer in protecting the user from herself.  That's just not the C++ way.