[Dune] How to iterate over Process Boundary edges

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Apr 10 16:25:57 CEST 2015

Hi Aleksejs,

the partition types apply _only_ to the parallel interface. In a serial grid,
all entities are considered interior (including those on the domain boundary).

In parallel, the elements are distributed onto multiple processes. Each
element is interior on exactly one process. Entities of higher codimension are
interior if and only if they all elements "containing" them are interior.
Likewise they are overlap or ghost if and only if all elements "containing"
them are overlap or ghost respectively. Otherwise they are border or front,
depending on whether they are "contained" in an interior element.

I apologize for the sloppy term "contained", but at this point my personal
view disagrees with the dune-grid paper. In the paper, "contained" means
corresponds to the subset relation of the geometric realization. From my point
of view, it should be the topologigal subentity relation. There is a tiny
difference between them and I am not sure all grid implementations conform the
the paper, here.

Anyway: You simply want the border entities!

Best,

Martin

PS: Maybe I should just have posted the link to the dune-grid paper ;-). But
one really has to read that carefully...