[Dune] Question on parallel computation

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 22 15:08:02 CEST 2015

Dear Dune,

I want to calculate a number a_e for each element e that is the average
of other numbers x_n associated with elements n that lie within a
certain radius r of e:

a_e = avg ( all x_n with n such that dist(e, n) < r )

Maybe some of you already had a similar problem: How can I achieve this
in MPI-parallel on a Dune grid without overlap, with maximal use of the
existing Dune infrastructure?

I can think of determining all the interacting elements n for each
element e sequentially on the macro grid before that is balanced over
the processes. Based on that pattern, I want to calculate frequently the
a_e's.

Thank you for your thoughts. Kind regards
Bernd

Bernd Flemisch                         phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart             fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61            email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart            url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de