[Dune] localFiniteElement for C1

Elisa Friebel friebel at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 31 15:58:39 CEST 2015

Dear Dune-Developers,

I'm interested in implementing C1-Macro Elements within the Dune-Framework.

Since the global degrees of freedom correspond to derivatives, C1
(Macro) elements do not form an affine family. Hence, the implementation
of a Dune localFiniteElement is not sufficient.
As far as I see, in the literature are two approaches,
either the implementation of a reference element and providing data* for
the transformation (as for example done in libmesh [1])
or direct spline evaluation depending on grid information such as
vertices, normals etc.

Is there any already existing infrastructure in Dune suitable for one
these approaches? Or is there anyone else currently working on similar
features?

Thanks,

Elisa

* a sparse matrix of the size of the local dofs (derived algebraically
once for every element)
[1]   libmesh finite element library http://libmesh.github.io/index.html