[Dune] [CMake] Set external ALUGrid

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Jan 9 16:13:18 CET 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 01:51:32PM +0000, Andreas Dedner wrote:

> On 09/01/15 13:30, Oliver Sander wrote:
> >On the other hand, since dune-alugrid is not a core module you are of course free
> >to remain with the AutoTools for it as long as you please.
> Hi.
> I was not aware of this.
> So it will be possible to use the core modules with cmake (have to
> once autottols are
> removed) and keep modules based on those using autotools?.
> dunecontrol will be able
> to handle that?

I think this should be possible. The only thing that is expected from
a dune-module is that you can find it with using
find_package(<dune-module>). For this to work it is sufficient to
provide so-called package configuration files
(dune-module-config.cmake and dune-module-version.cmake) that can be
generated with the autotools easily. Of course these have to work. Ug
is doing that for example.

BTW: I did offer to do just that in 2012 but somehow it went unnoticed
or even forgotten by me :(

dunecontrol tries to guess whether you have CMake support or not by
looking for CMakeLists.txt files and falls (or least did fall) back to
autotools. Like Christoph said, this is not well tested and might be
broken, though.

Sorry, but I have to comment on Robert's views on beta testing:
I became an involuntary beta-tester when you guys said there is a new
release. So this seems to be a quite common scheme ;)

BTW: I am very thankful that the people do invest a lot of time in
the build system currently. And it is great that people are trying it
and reporting back. When I was managing the last release there were
only a few testers (or maybe many silent ones). This makes it hard to
judge whether something is ready or not. With the default being CMake
now, we have more of them and that is good.

IMHO it is allowed (and avisable) to tell people that something is
working. Giving bug reports is a good way to contribute, too. But it
would be nice not to do the kind of bashing that is currently
happening.

Let's not make CMake what systemd became for Debian.

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858