[Dune] [CMake] Set external ALUGrid

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Jan 9 16:32:19 CET 2015

Hi Arya,

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 04:09:30PM +0100, Arya Fallahi wrote:
> However, after receiving various error messages and searching deep in the
> forums about cmake (I completely read the guidelines in dune website), I
> came to the conclusion that there are many bugs in the cmake. The simplest
> of all was that I had to give the complete address of the installed gcc,
> although it was known to the linux (autotools was easily recognizing
> that).

That is a myth. If you are using Linux, then this as easy as calling

CXX=g++-4.7 cmake <source-directory>

just try it yourself with the attached minimal cmake_test problem and
inspect the file CMakeCache.txt

> There were actually many more bugs. I ended up seeing that I am just
> building up a dirty opts file, which I usually like to avoid. The errors
> were definitely not from dune and it was the cmake errors I could see in
> many forums.

Can I ask you a favor?

We have implemented a lot of conversions inside of dune-control to
make it possible for users to use the exact same opts-file that works
for autotools. As you seem to have such a working opts-file can you
please just try that (with cmake) and open a proper bug report if it
does not work as expected? That would be really great.

> So, in summary I would completely agree with Robert that the switch to
> cmake may not have been the best decision, since it does not seem to be so
> mature as autotools.

I cannot confirm this. But our autotools usage is of course a lot more
tested over the years (did make quite some of our hairs grey as we
struggeled with its intrinsics). I do agree that our CMake stuff might
still not be on par, but people are working hard for that.

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858