[Dune] ghost or process boundary?

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Wed Jan 28 11:49:32 CET 2015

Dear Dune,

I have a little question about what is considered a Ghost entity and
what is a Process boundary entity. I have read dune-grid-howto

Please look at the picture. In blue, I have denoted a ghost element of
process 1. As I have understood from dune-grid-howto, the entities on
the face shared by the ghost element and the rest of process 1 are
considered Process boundaries only, and not ghost entities.

Now, what about the vertex on the other side, which is also shared by
both the ghost element and the process boundary of process 1. Is that
one also only a process boundary and not a ghost vertex?

The main reason I ask is because of the communication. Each entity may
communicate to all copies of that same entity on all processes. Is it
then safe to assume that any entity on this process will never
communicate to itself, even though it can (from some point of view) be
present several times on the same process?

Thank you,
Aleksejs