[Dune] Parallel alugrid gmsh reading

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Tue Jul 7 15:10:48 CEST 2015

Am Tue,  7. Jul 2015, 13:42:48 +0100 schrieb Andreas Dedner:
> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 13:42:48 +0100
> From: Andreas Dedner <a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk>
> To: dune at dune-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Dune] Parallel alugrid gmsh reading
>
> Hi Jake.
> Please always remember to add which version of the modules (in this case
> dune-grid and
> dune-alugrid) you are using because the answer could depend on that.
> What seems to be working fine is
>
>   Dune::GridFactory<GridType> factory;
>   if( myRank == 0 )
>     Dune::GmshReader<GridType>::read(factory, gridfile, true, true );
>   GridType *gridPtr = factory.createGrid();
>   GridType& grid = *gridPtr ;
>   grid.loadBalance();
>
> A small example code demonstrating the problem would help.
> Andreas

Hi Jake,

just a note: that means reading the grid sequentially, and then letting
ALUGrid distribute it.  With the old ALUGrid (1.52) you would run into memory
problems for sufficiently large grids and sufficiently many ranks.  I believe
that is better with the new ALUGrid, but if you experience similar problems,
get back to us and we can try to adapt the gmsh-to-alu workaround that I used
back then.

Regards,
Jö.