[Dune] istl and multithreading

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jun 3 08:05:52 CEST 2015

Hi Andreas,
as far as I know, there is no public code using multi-threading for
solving linear systems with Dune.
- Benedikt used SuperLU_DIST, but in a home-grown way. OpenMP support
war recently added to SuperLU_DIST so it was a long time not
multithreaded. I don't know whether he already uses the multi-threaded
features.
- I know someone in Houston who used SuperLU_MT with OpenMP, but it was
a hacked version of ISTL's SuperLU bindings.
- SuperLU_MT never received a configure check for Dune.

> I saw somewhere that there was some work (planned) on making use of
> threads in dune-istl.

The aim of the committed stuff was to make our quadrature rules thread
safe. I don't know whether Exa-Dune contains multi-threaded solvers.

Bye
Christoph

--
A mathematician is a scientist who can figure out anything except
such simple things as squaring the circle and trisecting an angle.