[Dune] UniversalMapper fails on periodic YaspGrid

Lukas Riedel mail at lukasriedel.com
Mon Apr 11 15:42:41 CEST 2016

Hi guys,

i want to create a periodic YaspGrid and map its cells to my own data structure, the entities of which are intended to consider their neighbours as defined by the underlying grid. Thus, i need to setup a mapper based on the GlobalIDSet of the grid to account for periodic boundaries.
However, mapping entities using a Global… or  LocalUniversalMapper<YaspGrid<2>> on a periodic grid results in runtime errors:

Dune::Exception […/bigunsignedint.hh:193]: Trying to construct a Dune::bigunsignedint from a negative integer: -1

I attached a short code which replicates my error. It occurs both when compiling a sequential (GCC 5.3) or a parallel (OpenMPI 1.10.2) program.

I am using the v2.4.1 release versions of dune-common, dune-geometry and dune-grid.

Is this error specific to the YaspGrid implementation? Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Lukas Riedel