[Dune] dune & cmake

Dominic Kempf dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:01:38 CEST 2016

Hey Martin,

I still think this discussion is a huge misunderstanding. I will try to sum
up some information on config.h to shed some light on the issue, maybe also
for future reference.

What is config.h?
config.h is a mechanism to pass information (in the form of preprocessor
defines) from the buildsystem to the compiler.
These are mainly the results of configure time checks, which are needed in
Dune to work properly in the detected environment.
Example: Dune performs (or performed previously) checks at configure time,
whether the given compiler supports certain C++
features and exports the results through config.h. Neither the dune
libraries nor any application using Dune headers can be
built successfully without this information, as some fallback
implementations were needed for missing language features.
The only real technical alternative would be to pass all flags separately
to the compiler, which is not really suitable for a project
the size of Dune.

How do I use config.h?
>From a user perspective there is really only one thing you need to know
about config.h:
At the beginning of each of your .cc files, write #include"config.h" as the
very first line.
This way you make all the buildsystem information available to the Dune
headers.

How do I add information to config.h?
Each Dune module (even freshly generated ones by the duneproject script)
provides a config.h.cmake
This file defines a template for the snippet of config.h containing
information on your module. The template
is resolved by the cmake command configure_file. You might want to read up
the documentation at
cmake --help-command configure_file
to understand how this happens.

How is the final config.h generated?
I will spare you those details that are too technical or magic, but the
procedure is generally as follows:
The config.h.cmake snippets from your module and from all
required/suggested modules are pasted
into one large template (guaranteeing that the snippets of all requirements
of module are included before
the module snippet is). This large template is used to generate a config.h
with the currently set variables in CMake.
Important fact: Each Dune module has its own config.h and you always
include the one from your own project,
as it contains all information from all required modules already.

I hope this kind of general information helps. Sorry, that I do not really
answer your questions. But from what I understand,
you are trying to work around using the Dune build system, and the only
support I can give in that case, is to convince you not to . :D

Best,
Dominic