[Dune] We take part in GSoC 2016

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Mar 1 14:09:51 CET 2016

Hi Markus,
it's quite surprising that Dune was selected. Some big names like VTK,
Boost and GCC did not get slots. CGAL has a long history of GSoC
participations, with several papers as results of the students' work.
They weren't selected neither.
Maybe they implemented an old idea of including more, smaller projects
and rotate the projects more. I guess it is bad if a project
automatically gets selected. Quoting the announcement: "After carefully
reviewing 369 applications, we have chosen 180 open source projects, 24%
of which are new to the program." Still we are not part of these 24%.

I kind of feel bad, as a good project in VTK or GCC might help us more
then a successful project for Dune. No, just joking ;-)

Bye
Christoph

--
The method has been developed for use on a high-speed electronic
computer and would be impractical for hand-solution purposes.