[Dune] Lagrange local basis on pyramids, in dune-localfunctions

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Sun May 29 14:45:30 CEST 2016

Hello,
While implementing the partial() method in dune-localfunction for
several localBasis, I came across the pyramid basis functions. Those are
implemented as piecewise linear/quadratic functions and I want to ask: why?

For me, the natural way would be to implement it as bilinear/biquadratic
x linear/quadratic. The drawback is, that the polynomial order then
increases, but to be exact, the polynomial order 1, as given currently
for the pyramidp1 localBasis would only be enough for quadrature
formulas, if the quadrature is also implemented piecewise over the
sub-tetrehedra and then added up.

The combination of the current pyramid elements with hexahedral Qk
elements would also not fit perfectly.

In contrast to this, the prism elements are implemented as bilinear x
linear functions and thus work well.

Have I missed something, e.g. is the smooth pyramid element implemented
in some other class that I have overseen?

I would suggest to either replace the current pyramid element with the
smooth ones, or add another pyramid finite element additionally if the
piecewise smooth elements are in use somewhere.
The evaluateJacobian test in the test-localfe implementation could then
also test for the pyramid elements instead of removing the test for only
these elements.

Simon Praetorius