[Dune] first release candidate for 2.6 release

Edscott Wilson edscott.wilson.garcia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:26:40 CET 2018

I'll chip in my feedback from a DuMux user's viewpoint.

To create DuMux problems with dune, basic generic C++ programming is a
must,  so updating a particular compilation requirement either from source
or from binary distribution library should not pose a problem.

But what if it is a problem?

In our workgroup we use an ArchLinux based docker container prepared with
all the necessary compilation tools.

Why ArchLinux based?

Because it is a rolling release targeted at users who will be compiling
programs. This differs from Linux distributions targeted at non compiling
users (debian/redhat/opensuse and variants) where library headers are
separated into different packages. This makes updating the docker container
rather simple and always up to date. Users in the non developer Linux
distributions can run dune problems without any need for any compilation
tools (just needs docker).

But what about performance in the docker container?

We have run our DuMux problem on a Linux box using mpi with 8 processes,
both in and out of a docker container. The performance is almost the
same.This is quite different from a virtualbox Linux client on a more
robust windows host, where performance is degraded by at least 40 percent.

So docker is a perfect solution?

Not yet. The main issue is the absence of a graphical environment. This
means that file editing and result analysis must be done in the host
computer. Moving files to-and-from the host to the container is tedious and
not very efficient. A solution would be an environment where the docker
container inputs and outputs directly to the host computer disk space with
some kind of python script do process commands from the host and
communicate with the docker container. We have not done that yet, but it
sounds like fun.

In conclusion, from a simple user's viewpoint, upgrading to cmake 3.1 and
gcc 7 is just fine.

best regards,

Edscott