[Dune] first release candidate for 2.6 release

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Wed Jan 3 21:53:18 CET 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 02:38:29PM +0000, Andreas Dedner wrote:
> This was done through dune-common MR323
>
> https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-common/merge_requests/323
>
> There was brief discussion but nobody! was arguing that this requirement
> was too strict - only some people suggestion to go further (3.5).
> Why those worried about this type of restriction don't follow and don't
> get involved in these discussions is beyond me.

That is easy to answer for me. The general tendency of DUNE pushing
for newer requirements has increased the gap of master and what I use
in production. I use releases and usually recommend that to
everyone. (Unless there are imortant missing features that
actually have been marketed as being present for sometime).

This gap closed a bit in the midth of last year when
2.5 was supported by some of the code that at that time was very close
to master concerning the needed versions of software it depends on.

THis MR was about master at that time and therefore it did not bother me
much. Well, changing one line of code for the release is not much work.

> Btw: If we change the requirements, we need to set up a docker
> container based on cmake 2.8.12 and the lowest supported g++
> version. There should always be a 'minimum' or 'oldest' image
> used in the CI testing.

I do not agree that this has to be tested automatically if it is just
for the release. There should be some manual testing anyway and I am
volunteering to do this (eh, already did it for rc1). BTW 3.0 would
work for me, too.

Markus

Pedettistr. 38, 85072 Eichstätt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858