[Dune] Using PDELab's alpha_skeleton with larger stencil?

Bryan Doyle btd2 at rice.edu
Tue Sep 11 04:09:23 CEST 2018

Hello,
I am using DUNE's PDELab, and noticed that in the alpha_skeleton calls,
only 2 coefficient vectors are available: x_s and x_n. This implies that
only the unknowns evaluated on the self and neighbor cells are available
for use in alpha_skeleton's calculations. Suppose my weak form had an
integral over an edge which depended on the unknowns evaluated on cells
other than the self and neighbor elements; would it be possible to
implement this using PDELab?

As a more concrete example, assume I have a uniform square grid, with
elements E_1 and E_2 which do not share an edge. Suppose I wish to calculate
\int_e u_1*u_2,
where u_1 and u_2 are the unknowns evaluated in the centers of elements E_1
and E_2, respectively, and e is some edge of E_1. Is calculating this
integral possible using PDELab's alpha_skeleton function, or is there
another way to do so?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time,
Bryan