[Dune] List server outage last week

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Mon Dec 16 14:00:38 CET 2019

Am Mo, 16. Dez 2019, 10:58:29 +0100 schrieb Jö Fahlke:
> On sunday I got the list server whitelisted[1] at Office365/outlook.com, so
> people at institutions buying email-services from Microsoft are now again able
> to receive mail that's passed through our list server.  You may wan't to have
> a look into the list archives for any mail that you've missed.  Namely,
> warwick.ac.uk is affected by this, but there may be more I'm not aware of.

This seems to be this issue on github:
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/microsoft-365-docs/issues/592

And in fact whitelisting seems to not always work, so please be on the lookout
for any problems.  Also, since this list let one spam message through before I
forcibly adjusted the posting policy to "members and whitelisted only", we
might be blacklistet again.

>     Why was that a problem?  Because the list server would reject mail content
>     with lines longer than 1000 bytes.  Why would he do that?  Well, my guess
>     is that someone read https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.3.1
>     and https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.3.1.6, and decided to
>     take a stand against those damn RFC-violators, and set Debian's default
>     config to reject lines longer than the minimum the RFC requires.
>
>     So great.  One bonehead who does not care about interoperability, sending
>     messages with unnessecary .gif-files, not folding the base64-encoded
>     version of those into 80-character lines like you're supposed to, thereby
>     violating an RFC recommendation for no good reason.  Versus another
>     bonehead who cares so much about interoperability, that he'll artificially
>     limit interoperability for all of his users by default, in the hope
>     they'll pressure the first bonehead to do the right thing.

Apologies to the Debian maintainer of exim -- there are actually better
reasons than I suspected, see

Regards,
Jö.