[Dune] Assertion error when running Dune greed in parallel

Guichard, Roland r.guichard at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 11:24:33 CEST 2019

Dear Dune people,

I am currently working on a project to update a home made Dune module (peits) to the newest Dune modules. Peits was previously running fine with Dune modules (common, fem, grid, alugrid, geometry) v2.3.

Now I am trying to update to the same Dune modules v2.6. I have managed to compile (under GNU compiler) and run serially Peits with Dune2.6 but the issue appears when I run in parallel using MPI. This occurs when the gridPtr is called,

And trying to create the grid from a dgf file, especially the assertion:

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/core/dune-grid/blob/master/dune/grid/io/file/dgfparser/gridptr.hh#L281

Basically, what I have narrowed down is:

  *   The MPI rank 0 runs fine. It fetches all parameters from files, calls the DGFGridFactory, initializes it etc.
  *   The MPI rank 1 comes to the same point but I have checked that the initialisation of the DGFGridFactory is not setting the necessary parameters the same way, I.e. the elParam_ size is set to 0 (whereas ~57000 in MPI rank 0) causing the above assertion to fail.

I wanted to know if there is a dedicated procedure to create a grid in parallel which I am missing at this point. Could you advise on this issue ?

That would be really helpful.

Kind regards,

Dr. Roland Guichard
Research Software Engineer