[Dune] Installation problem and some doubts

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Tue Mar 19 16:44:09 CET 2019

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for reporting a defect in the dune-installer script. Probably the
website will be update to give some advice or the installer-script will
be updated correspondingly.

In my understanding of your initial message, you wanted to install dune
from source and just used the beginners guide to do so, right? The
dune-installer from the repository could be a way to do it with just a
very few commands. Essentially it

1. downloads and compiles external libraries, like Vc, HDF5, FFTW, UG
2. downloads the dune modules via git
3. creates an options file and a build script

These steps could also be done manually. This is, what is also described
in the "how to get started with Dune" guide by Oliver Sander, or on the
https://www.dune-project.org/doc/installation/ page.

You may not need the listed external libraries in the dune-installer or
may need others, so it could be better to install it yourself. I,
personally, prefer to install external dependencies from packages (if
available)

So, what do you need to install dune (release 2.6):

1. compiler + git + cmake, e.g.

> sudo apt install g++ g++-7 git cmake  pkg-config

2. External packages could be

> sudo apt install libalberta-dev libsuitesparse-dev libsuperlu-dev

(Alberta is a fem library providing the Alberta-grid, Suitesparse and
superlu are sparse direct solvers, maybe you need more, like parmetis,
metis, openmpi,...)

3. Download dune:

> mkdir -p TARGET && cd TARGET
> git clone https://gitlab.dune-projects.org/GROUP/MODULE.git -- branch
releases/2.6 [--single-branch]

where TARGET is a base directory where to download all modules (like
my-dune-dir), and (GROUP, MODULE) is any of

(core, dune-common)
(core, dune-geometry)
(core, dune-grid)
(core, dune-istl)
(core, dune-localfunctions)
(staging, dune-typetree)
(staging, dune-functions)
(staging, dune-uggrid)
(extensions, dune-alugrid)
(extensions, dune-spgrid)

So repeat the git clone command for any module you would like to
install. See also the DUNE modules page (e.g.
https://www.dune-project.org/groups/core/) or the
gitlab.dune-project.org Gitlab repository where to find other modules,
like PDELab or FEM or other grid modules.

4. Compile the dune modules:

> cd TARGET
> dune-common/bin/dunecontrol all

You may set additional CMake flags, see the corresponding documentation
on the website.

That's basically what the dune-installer does. It is just wrapped into a
shell script and sets some common compiler flags.

Best regards,
Simon