[Dune] Handling several materials

Dedner, Andreas A.S.Dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 18:13:31 CEST 2020

Hi.
Just wanted to give another perspective based on how we might do this in dune-fem:
the way I would suggest doing this is to store the parameters defining your domain in a
discrete function over a `FiniteVolumeSpace`. This gives you then exactly one value per
entity (possibly a bit of an overkill since it is a double by default but that could be useful as
mention below). Then
(a) local grid refinement and coarsening is taken care automatically., i.e., the material
      properties are transferred to the new elements in the mesh when calling grid.adapt()
(b) (when using Python bindings) you can directly use this discrete function as UFL coefficient       when describing the UFL form using `ufl.conditional`. Unfortunately `ufl.conditional` isn't
      very nice to use but since I didn't so far have an application I didn't look more into ufl
      and subdomains. So in fact instead of defining the material property discrete function
      by setting an integer on each cell I would directly use the finite volume discrete function
      to store the material properties - at least if this is not prohibitive w.r.t. memory, i.e., it
      depends on how many material properties have to be set. Assuming it is only a few values
      (r) then one could setup a finite volume discrete function with range dimension r and
      directly use that within the ufl expression for the model. Again adaptivity would be handle
      automatically as mentioned in (a).
Just some thoughts
Andreas