[Dune] license again

Edscott Wilson edscott.wilson.garcia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:43:10 CET 2020

Actually, if your colleagues are just going to compile and run your code,
GPL is fine: There is no restriction to publishing results derived from
compiling and executing GPL code.

Now, if you are going to give your colleagues an executable produced from
your code and the Dune toolbox, first consider:

a) if your code is in any way a modification of the code in any Dune
module, you *must* provide a copy of your code to your colleagues, or if it
is in published somewhere, tell them where they can download it. The
licence you put on it must follow the GPL guidelines for free, i.e., any
subsequent modification of the code must remain in the free realm.

b) if your code in no way is a modification of the code in any Dune module,
you may use an open but non-free license such as BSD. The guys at GNU
consider the BSD license as non-free, because it will allow your colleagues
to modify your code and not share it back with you. Furthermore, the BSD
license will allow them to do so and not even give you any credit. Windows
uses a lot of BSD code and does not credit the University of California at
Berkeley.

HTH

Dr. Edscott Wilson Garcia
Reservoir Engineering