[Dune] publications about Dune parallel scalability and performance

Christoph Grüninger foss at grueninger.de
Tue Jan 7 23:34:14 CET 2020

Hi Ziad,
I don't think you will find ready-to-use codes for your problem at hand
in the Dune world. But with Dune-FEM (or AcFEM) or Dune-PDELab you
should be able to set up your discretization within a couple of weeks.
Then you can test the actual performance.

Bye
Christoph

Am 30.12.19 um 16:27 schrieb Ziad Boutanios:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> I have an extensive background in multiphase flows using both FEM and
> FVM. My interest in DG for incompressible multiphase simulations stems
> from the suitability of the method for hyperbolic problems. It is also
> quite good for volume fraction transport equations where the volume
> fraction needs to be bounded between 0 and 1.
>
> I recently wrote a CG/DG code for a Eulerian-Eulerian formulation using
> UFL with good results but it is very slow compared to FVM. Such a code
> can be used for aero-icing, sediment transport, drifting snow,
> particulate flow through porous media, etc. Right now I am looking to
> modify the equations and make the code faster, maybe use DG for all
> equations if it helps parallel runs.
>
> My interest in Dune is due to improved mesh handling and availability of
> automatic mesh adaptation. This is a research project I'm doing
> part-time for lack of funding but I am open to collaborations if someone
> has a common interest and could get involved full-time.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ziad
>
> On 2019-12-28 2:20 p.m., Christoph Grüninger wrote:
>> Hi Ziad,
>> my impression is, that there is not must interest in large-scale
>> Navier-Stokes calculation within the Dune community. Most applications
>> are elliptic or parabolic.
>> The only exception is some work by Robert Klöfkorn (et al.?), but that
>> was about shock fronts that needed grid refinement along the front. So
>> not incompressible. And quite some time ago.
>> Some weather simulations were or are done using Dune. I don't know what
>> type of equations they solve.
>>
>> Why are you asking? Do you want to use Dune for this kind of appliation?
>> Do you want to compare its performance to other tools? What's your
>> background? How much would you be willing to invest?
>>
>> Bye
>> Christoph

Nous vivons une époque où les pizzas arrivent plus vite que la police.
[Claude Chabrol]