[Dune] publications about Dune parallel scalability and performance

Marian Piatkowski marian.piatkowski at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jan 8 15:51:14 CET 2020

Hi Ziad,

good to hear that incompressible Navier-Stokes fellows are interested in
DUNE.
The research group of Peter Bastian has done quite some work on
high-order DG methods, DG incompressible Navier-Stokes, and
convection-diffusion-reaction type equations.
As you said, a DG code may be slow for such equations. To obtain a
high-performance finite element code, necessary steps need to be taken
that include
- avoid superfluous gather/scatter operations during assembling, in
particular for DG methds
- exploit tensor product structure in finite elements on
quadrilateral/hexahedral meshes, sum-factorization
- matrix-free methods

Those optimizations have been realized within the PDELab discretization
framework for example. The publications to be listed below show
performance and scaling results using this code basis:

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.10885
[2] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999119303973

cover convection-diffusion-reaction type equations where the former
shows performance and scalability results and the latter matrix-free
solver effectiveness.
During my PhD project I have developed a large-scale incompressible
Navier-Stokes code on top of PDELab, using splitting schemes like Chorin
as you said, and using a DG discretization. It is described in the
following references:

[3] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999117308732
[4] https://arxiv.org/abs/1912.10242
[5] http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/26674/

where the last item includes performance and scalability results for the
Navier-Stokes solver.
We are also working on a code generator for the PDELab discretization
framework based on UFL. Here I want to share the following two publications:

[6] https://arxiv.org/abs/1812.08075
[7] http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/27360/

Hope this helps as a start-up.

Best regards,