[Dune] Solving ODE-Systems in Dune

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Mon May 25 10:28:17 CEST 2020

Hi Max,

> My question is, if there is an interface in Dune that can solve ODE's

there is no such interface in the Dune core modules.

> and handle those
>
> nested datatypes. For example, if i rewrite the system to y'=F(...):
>
> F[0] = y[1];
>
> F[1] = -M^-1*K*y[0]+M^-1*p
>
> that the basic operations can be done with the BCRSMatrix and BlockVectors.

You can do that even with nested matrices, however you cannot use operator* for it.
Instead, use methods from the matrix interface like 'umv' for the matrix-vector
multiplications.

If your mass matrix is (block-)diagonal you can store it in a BDMatrix and
explicitly compute the inverse.  Otherwise you'll have to solve a linear
system with M as the matrix.

> I've seen that there are implemented time stepping methods in the Dune-FEM and
>
> Dune-PDELab modules,

There are, but somebody else has to answer this question.

Best regards,
Oliver

 but I'm not sure what they are capable of.