[Dune] Dune license

Yimin Liu yiminliu at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 19 04:05:00 CEST 2020

Hi,

Hope this message finds you well. I'd like to ask about the "run-time exception" term in Dune's GPLv2 license.

I am considering adding the DUNE-ISTL solvers to a research reservoir simulator in Julia that I have been developing. Here is my plan:

  1.  Write a wrapper package in C that instantiates BCRS matrices and iterative solvers from Dune, then solve the linear equation.
  2.  Compile the wrapper package into a shared library.
  3.  Load the shared library, call the API functions from the Julia simulator.

In this case, do I need to make it open source and use a GPL compatible license for

  1.  The wrapper package in C.
  2.  The Julia simulator.

Thanks,
Yimin