[Dune] Implementation of Robin Boundary Condition

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Mon Sep 13 10:52:40 CEST 2021

Hi,

to add some more specific details to Olivers answer:

Boundary conditions like Neumann/Robin are implemented with surface
integrals as you have written. The "surface" thereby is represented by a
set of boundary intersections in Dune, i.e., intersections of grid
elements with the boundary. Each element can iterate over all its
intersections (with neighboring elements and also with the boundary) and
the intersection has the information whether it is on the boundary or
not. Thus, during your assembling over the grid elements, you could
iterate over the element intersections and for each boundary
intersection construct a quadrature rule from the intersection geometry.
All necessary geometric mappings are provided by the intersection object.

See the following documentation pages for more details:

https://dune-project.org/doxygen/2.8.0/classDune_1_1Intersection.html //
the Intersection class
https://dune-project.org/doxygen/2.8.0/group__GIIteration.html#ga0927181ebf10ed59531e262a63f92daf
// the intersections "range generator" to iterator of intersections of
an entity

In the book "DUNE - The Distributed and Unified Numerics Environment",
O. Sander, 2020 (https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030597016) in
chapter 5.4. there it is also described in more detail.

Best regards,
Simon