[Dune] Parallelization of dune-multidomaingrid

Paul Maidl paul.maidl at uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 12 12:28:36 CEST 2023

Dear Dune Developers,

we are working with Dune on a multidomain simulation tool for our research.

To do so we want to use dune-multidomaingrid together with the dune core
library, which is working successfully in sequential application. During our
work for the parallelization we encountered the problem, that the
loadBalance() function for the multidomaingrid does not compile. Attached
you find a minimal example. Since the error seems to come from some kind of
data handle we also tried the overload function loadBalance(DataHandle&
dataHandle) for the multidomaingrid, which is also not working. This seems
to be related to one of the GitLab issues
(https://gitlab.dune-project.org/extensions/dune-multidomaingrid/-/issues/2)
. Unfortunately the issue is still open.

The questions we have are:

Is there some bug-fix already known and might be available in near future?

Do we use the functionality of the load balancing in the intended way?

And in case we have not made some mistake and there is no bug fix, what way
of implementing a parallel solver for multidomain applications can you
recommend for using Dune?

Best regards and thanks in advance

Simon Hein and Paul Maidl