[Dune-devel] [GSoC2013]

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Apr 12 11:20:29 CEST 2013

Hi Tilak,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 03:03:02AM +0530, ϯ<he, who does not mention his name in the From header> wrote:
> Respected Sir,

You do not have to be that polite on this list. A simple Hi or Dear
DUNE developer is enough.

BUT: Please make sure that your full name is _always_ included in the
from header of your email.

> This is in regard with IMPLEMENTING INSERTERS FOR DUNE SPARSE MATRICES
> For the past 2 days I have been going through the istl tutorial pdf and the
> documentation for various istl classes for matrices and vectors. Have
> understood them to quite some level. Currently was going through the code
> of bcrsmatrix.hh.

Sounds like a perfect start.

>  As I am new to Open Source Communities I had a bit doubt.
> I had to ask that whether we have to edit this and implement the insertors
> acc to the algo given or we have to rewrite the whole code again with all
> the member functions???? Please guide me in the right direction.

The way it works is as follows:

In the subversion repository we will create a feature branch where you
will implement your changes. At the beginning this will be just a copy
of the trunk. After your implmentation it will still provide the
features of the trunk but additionally provide the inserter
algorithms/classes. So there is no need to reimplement the wheel.

IMHO this is the main advantage of Open Source or free
software. It is free as in freedom. You can just look into the code
and add additional functionality that you need or pay someone to due it.

In contrast, if you are using proprietary or closed software, than you
are at the mercy of the corporate. Usually it is very unlikely that
they share your need for a specific feature and will add it for you.

I hope I could help!

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658