[Dune-devel] [GSoC2013]

Stephen N stephentkn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:55:28 CEST 2013

Hello,

I thought I'd introduce myself and perhaps get ideas about how I should
proceed for a possible Google Summer of Code position.

My name is Stephen, and I am a second year University of Windsor student
pursuing a Honours computer science and General Mathematics degrees. I
haven't really done any open source projects before, so forgive me if I
commit any mistakes they are not intentional. :) but I'm a quick learner so
I should catch on quick.

Obviously being both Computer Science and Math student when I read through
DUNE's introduction I found it very interesting, and something I'd love to
work on.

Now I've been teaching myself C++ all year, so I've been implementing data
structures with templates using (to the best of my ability) const
correctness to encourage good code design, and compatibility. I attempted
to make my structures as standard library compliment as possible, however I
know enough to know I don't know everything. So I'm really interested in
making sure that well I don't know everything about the project I choose it
should be just a bit beyond my current abilities so I can continue to
expand my skills.

Reading the suggested projects, the inserter (project 2) jumped out at me
as a project I think I could realistically complete after some research,
and the white paper linked was very intriguing. Not to mention
Linear Algebra is the branch of math I enjoy the most. :)

Currently I've downloaded and built the core modules, and I am
experimenting with the dune-istl module.

Sorry for the long email, but I'd appreciate any suggestions you could
offer,
Stephen