[Dune-devel] [GSoC 2013] Project 1

Cristian Stoica crististoica.cs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 22:43:31 CEST 2013

Hello DUNE developers,

My name is Cristi Stoica, and I would be interested to work on Project 1:
Add Thread Support to Parallel Index Sets, in this year's GSoC.

I am currently a first year's Master student at the Computer Science
Faculty at the Politehnica University in Bucharest ( I have graduated
Computer Science last year at the same university). I have also
participated last year in the GSoC program.

Related to this particular project, I have had practical experience with
parallel and distributed algorithms in various university projects (Map
Reduce, image processing, using openmpi, pragma omp, phtreads - in C, and
other mechanisms in Java or Python for parallel algorithms) and I am also
passionate about C++. I have solid C and C++ knowledge but not much
experience with modern C++ coding, especially static polymorphism with
templates, but I would be very interested to learn this good coding
practices. I think that I have the necessary practical experience and
knowledge to work on this project.
I have built the sources and read the document which explains the local and
remote Indexes for distributing the data to multiple processes. I
understood the general idea of the algorithm, but I still have a lot of
code to parse to get a bigger picture.

Do you have any suggestion for me on what I should do to apply successfully
for this project? Should I randomly pick a bug from the bug tracker or
maybe implement a simple dune module with some parallel calculations, maybe
using some dune data structures?

Thank you,
Cristi Stoica