[Dune-devel] [GSoC 2013] Project 1

Ravi Teja Mullapudi raviteja.mullapudi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 05:11:51 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am Ravi Teja Mullapudi. I am interested in the project "Add Thread
Support to Parallel Index Sets".  I am currently enrolled as a Masters
Student at the Multicore Computing Lab <http://mcl.csa.iisc.ernet.in/>, Indian
Institute of Science Bangalore. Easing communication generation is one of
the topics I am interested in. I have worked on scaling stencil
computations and linear algebra kernels on our local cluster (MPI+OpenMP).
 I am recently working on implementing the same algorithms in a higher
level abstraction Intel Concurrent
Collections<http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-concurrent-collections-for-cc>,
it allows for defining the communication pattern via dependencies and the
communication happens behind the scenes. I think the abstraction created by
Parallel Index Sets has similarities.

Is there a particular reason that the thread support that you want
implemented has to be done using POSIX threads or C+11 thread features?.
OpenMP might also be a reasonable alternative and if the workload is not
easy to partition statically Thread Building
Blocks<http://threadingbuildingblocks.org/> is
a very good candidate.

Can you please let me know what steps I should take to make a strong
application for the project?

Thanks,
Ravi Teja.