[Dune-devel] Doubt Re-:Project 1: Add Thread Support to Parallel Index Sets

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Wed Apr 24 09:30:09 CEST 2013

Hi Jaesh,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:33:19AM +0530, jayesh_hathila at daiict.ac.in wrote:
> I am Jayesh Hathila from 3rd year ICT branch ,after going through
> the project ideas I found "Project 1: Add Thread Support to Parallel
> Index Sets" project to be best suited for me but I have doubts
> regarding
> the exact requirements and scope of the project.I have worked on
> 'MPI' and have some basic knowledge of 'OPENMP' in high performance
> computing and for other languages I had worked in python,c,java,arm
> and other web designing languages.I have doubts regarding what
> exactly we will have to do in this project and what are your
> expectations from the students who are applying.
> Thanks.

Currently the parallel index sets uses MPI underneath for the
communication. The aim of this project is to add support for threads
as replacement if MPI is not available or a cobination of threads (on
the nodes) and MPI (between the nodes). This means the routines for
exchanging messages have to be implemented using threads.

If you have an MPI background this is an asset, but of course you need
to learn thread programming for this task.

Cheers,

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658