[Dune-devel] DUNE (bugfix) release

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Thu Jan 17 15:31:28 CET 2013

Hi fellow developers,

I am currently more than thinking about investing work into a new DUNE release.

Summary                                   (for the hasty/busy developers)
-------
Release should contain:
- all core modules: bugfixes that can be applied
- all core modules: add CMake support
- dune-common and dune-istl: add at least some additional changes and
  recent improvements
- porting to the new release should be minimal work (=> no removal of
  deprecated features).

If that is OK with all, I would like this to be an official DUNE
release 2.2.1 and hopefully these changes might make it into the Debian
packages, too. Is everybody OK with this?

Otherwise I can also do this on my own regard and provide
inofficial release tarballs.

Tentative (optimistic) schedule: Make branches with the above ready
until February 8 for testing with tarballs. Testing until February 25.

Your 2 cents on this are more than welcome.

Further ramblings                             (for those who have time)
-----------------

I think the changes and bugfixes on the trunk are enough work to
justify at least a bugfix release. Albeit my main motivation is of
course to make some of the good work available to people basing their
work on relases and not using the sometimes bleeding edge trunk
version. To the very least this would be of interest to OPM which
would be able to get advantage of new features of (sequential) ISTL
and CMake. But I am pretty sure that other users might benefit, too.

This of course would make it a little bit more than a bugfix release.
At least for dune-common and dune-istl we could incorporate features
that will not break other modules. As both are often just used and in
contrast to dune-grid and others modules do not so much serve as
interfaces. Porting existing modules to it should not be that much
work as interface changes are rather limited.

On the other hand I do not feel confident enough to pull in changes
other than bugfixes for dune-grid, dune-geometry,
dune-localfunctions. I am under the impression that
there were quite some interface changes and that we are in some cases
not even sure whether they are completed already. If time allows for
it, I would of course add some additional functionality (e.g. in
localfunctions).

To keep the porting effort for users minimal, I would try to not
remove any deprecated features.

Regards,

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658