[Dune-devel] Update on GSoC DUNE psurface work

Xiaoxue Gong xiaoxue198912 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 14:48:27 CEST 2013

Last week my mentor Oliver Sander gives me a very detailed working plan on
my project. Current I am working on the first point of the plan.

"1. Write a command-line tool that can take a psurface object and write its
domain surface in vtk format (which can be read by paraview).

- Please call the program 'psurface-convert' - VTK seems to be pretty big,
and I don't think I want a vtk dependence for psurface. In
dune-grid/dune/grid/io/file/vtk/vtkwriter.hh there is code that writes
grids in vtk format withoutexternal dependencies. That should get you
started.

 - You'll need a psurface object to tesTriangleTypet with. The easiest way
toe sh=path, and use the code in AmiraMeshIO.cpp"

The file dune-grid/dune/grid/io/file/vtk/vtkwriter.hh have the class
VTKWritter which takes data from class template GridView and write it into
vtu format with 4 output choice( ascii, base64,appended raw, appended base
64). It fills the cell data, vertex data, position of the vertices and
connectivity arrays into vtu files.

We can read psurface subject from the Amiramesh file. Psurface project have
the members triangular array, vertex array and edge array which store, the
information needed to create vtk files. I created the class VTUp. In VTUp
class, functions are defined to read psurface elements by elements.

we have two vtk output file choice, the unstructured grid vtk file or the
polygonal data vtk file.The polygonal dataset consists of arbitrary
combinations

of vertices, points, lines and triangular strips. The unstructured grid
dataset consists of arbitrary combinations of any possible cell type. So
this two is chosen to be the output format of vtk file.

I have not finished the code for #1 yet.  I hope I can make it work by
Thursday.

I have some trouble in clone the git code from /
gitorious.org/psurface/psurface.git. makedist.sh is missing in the code
downloaded. The version I am using the psurface code from the DUNE website.

I am sorry for the my late reply.

Best,

Xiaoxue