[Dune-devel] GSoc update

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Fri Jul 26 15:53:19 CEST 2013

2013/7/25 Christian Engwer <christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de>

> Hi Miha, thanks for the update... as I was occupied with family stuff
> over the weekend I was not able to answer earlier.

No problem. I just passed my last exam today, so there isn't much new since
last week.

Running programs and static HTML code generation now work, and I
believe it's time to start work on a dynamic "web application" where
one can filter the results by program, machine or something else.

Of course, since the review week is upon us, if you wish I can wait with
that
and instead write the so-far missing documentation, and maybe add more
data to measurements.

> > results. The procedure is described in the README file, it is not
> > complicated but both Bootstrap and Dygraphs have to be in the correct
> > locations. I hope this will make it easier for you to review and provide
> > feedback.
>
> On the long run it would be convinient to include some simple
> configure tests to check for the necessary python and third-party
> libraries. I'm not a license expert, but I would be very convinient to
> include as many libs in the repo as possible and add a short
> description or script to update them :-)

Dygraphs and Bootstrap are licensed under MIT and Apache licenses,
respectively.
I don't think there would be problem if we included them in the repo,
but we should explicitely mention their licenses.

> Further more I'm currently not able to run the python code. I didn't
> manage to find the appropriate packages. I installed python-psutil,
> but now I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "perftest.py", line 2, in <module>
>     from database import *
>   File
>
> "/home/christi/Uni/Dune/dune-perftest/dune/perftest/database/__init__.py",
> line 5, in <module>
>     from .loadresults import *
> ImportError: No module named loadresults
>
> might it be that some files are missing in the repo? And for the
> script itself, I would prefer having a shebang and marking the script
> executable, similar to the way we did it for the other dune helper
> scripts.

Yes, this was a file I forgot to add to the repo. I added the dependencies
too,
if there are problem they can be removed and replaced with a script
that fetches them.

The problem with shebangs is that I'm on ArchLinux where python3 is the
default,
while I believe some distros still ship with python2 as default.
I don't think we talked about this, but I make all my code
python3-compliant,
and while it should run on python2 as well, there might be some
incompatibilities.

I remember we has some issues with this in GSoC two years ago, when I
was the only one with Python3 and the rest were on Ubuntu or Mac with
the old version.